Thursday, May 12, 2005

Falling For The Diva


(Getty Images Photo)

Alright, I’ll admit it. I miss Pedro.

I miss the quirky, fun, tactics he’d put on in the dugout. I miss the high-fiving, pointing and bobble heading. I miss looking at the schedule and knowing we’re going to win almost every single Pedro start. I miss his grimacing look as he steps out of the dugout to the approval of the fans, the fans who used to leave their seats to get a Fenway Frank when the Red Sox were batting, just so they wouldn’t miss one masterful pitch. I miss the strikeouts and the leg kick and the way he was always so calm and smooth.

Do I disagree with Theo when he didn’t sign Pedro? No. It was the right move, no doubt. Not only is he grossly overpaid by the Mets, but the Sox countered with Matt Clement, Wade Miller and David Wells, all for the same amount of money. This year, Pedro might win the Cy Young. But there’s no way I give him that kind of money at his age, with his velocity slowly but surely decreasing and arm problems beginning to unfold. But I miss him so much in a Red Sox uniform. After Game 5 of the 1999 ALDS, I never, ever, in my wildest dreams, thought Pedro would wear a different teams uniform again. Those magical seasons were unbelievable, but these last few weeks, I’ve been wishing he was still a Red Sock.

I miss the weird hair curls and the head shaking with Manny. I miss him and Schilling going back-to-back. I miss the Fenway crowd rising to its feet before every Pedro two-strike pitch, wanting, hoping, knowing it will be a K. The WEEI signs in center field, displaying every strikeout. Just watch Game 3 of the World Series sometime, you’ll see what I mean.

Why am I bringing this up now? I’ve just been thinking about it. Just spilling my thoughts on paper here. What I don’t miss is the constant whining and complaining. What I don’t miss is the loathing for New York, the smile in his eye whenever someone mentions the city or his next scheduled start there. You could almost tell he had one foot out the door. I don’t miss him walking out early on games, not showing up for team meetings, and the public exploding whenever the management and Pedro didn’t get along. I don’t miss the agent, I don’t miss the selfishness, but I do miss the pitcher. I’m willing to take in all the negatives for the positives.

I miss Pedro. I think you get the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home