Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Sox Trade Rumors

-The Phillies have made Billy Wagner available, and the Red Sox are interested in him, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. Bill Lajoie, the Sox special assistant to the general manager, was in Philadelphia over the weekend, keeping an eye on the Phillies closer.

Wagner is open to a move, the Philadelphia Daily News reports. "I definitely would be disappointed [if the Phillies are out of it] and I wasn't traded," Wagner told the newspaper. "[GM] Ed Wade didn't bring me here to pitch for a team that's selling. It's unfathomable to think I wouldn't be traded if we don't have a chance for the wild card."

-According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Red Sox have called the Twins looking for pitching and are believed to be interested in left-hander J.C. Romero, who could help stabilize a bullpen that had a 5.51 ERA entering Monday -- the second-highest in the American League.

The Twins are looking for hitting, and the Red Sox might be willing to deal veteran third baseman Bill Mueller, who is batting .277 with four homers, 36 RBI and a .379 on-base percentage. He is making $2.5 million and will be a free agent after the season.

First baseman-outfielder Kevin Millar also is available, although he has indicated he would prefer to stay with the World Series champions.

-The Red Sox have shown interest in acquiring veteran second baseman Tony Graffanino from the Royals, the Boston Herald reports. The Sox unsuccessfully attempted to sign the 33-year-old as a free agent two winters ago, but the Royals are expected to try to pare their larger salaries (Graffanino makes $1.1 million) in the upcoming weeks.

Graffanino's versatility -- he plays all four infield positions -- and experience make him valuable.

- According to the Boston Herald, the Red Sox might have some interest in reliever Shingo Takatsu, who was designated for assignment by the White Sox on Monday. Takatsu was 6-4 with 19 saves in 20 chances and a 2.31 ERA in 59 appearances last season, but he's 1-2 with eight saves and a 5.97 ERA this year.

-According to the Hartford Courant, Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar has made it clear he doesn't want to be traded. "I can't imagine going anywhere else. I really couldn't," he told the newspaper. "I feel like, seriously, I've been here for 10 years. This is it."

Millar, in the final year of his contract, has been the subject of trade rumors since late May. He insists he has never asked to be traded. "You know as well as I know, if I was unhappy, I'd go and tell you I was unhappy," Millar said. "I haven't said one thing. Let me just make it real easy. When I hit, I'm a hell of a defensive first baseman. If I don't hit, I'm below average, I'm a defensive nuisance."

-According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox like Brewers setup man Matt Wise, but Milwaukee reportedly is willing only to trade Ricky Bottalico.


-Miguel Batista of the Blue Jays is available, but Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi is believed to have asked for top prospect Hanley Ramirez in return, the same player Tampa Bay GM Chuck LaMar wants for closer Danys Baez.

-Johnny Damon knows he can expect a call from the Yankees this winter after he becomes a free agent, the Journal News reports. "My first preference is Boston, and they know it," Damon told the newspaper. "But I know how this works. I am not closing the door on anything. I would listen to what anybody has to say."

-Even before Mark Bellhorn suffered a sprained left thumb in the Red Sox' 5-3 loss to the Yankees on Sunday, there were signs that his tenure as the team's second baseman was in danger of coming to an end, the Providence Journal reports. There have been inquiries about some utility types (including Kansas City's Tony Graffanino), but the price -- before Bellhorn's injury -- was deemed too high. Alfonso Soriano would be a huge upgrade, and the Rangers are known to be shopping him.


Source: ESPN Insider Rumor Central

2 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Jimmy J said...

Gettin Billy Wagner would Be Awsome


http://bosox21.blogspot.com/

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Zach said...

I believe Guardado has a clause in his contract that allows him to reject trades to certain teams, and Boston is one of them.

Too bad, he's got great numbers and is playing on a shitty team

 

Post a Comment

<< Home